20-23 September 2014, Sunkoshi Beach Camp, Nepal
Managing Rivers for Life!
Nepal River Conservation Trust (NRCT), Central Department of Environmental Science (CDES)/Tribhuvan University (TU), Kirtipur, Department of Environmental Science and Engineering/Kathmandu University (KU), Dhulikhel and Institute for Social and Environmental Transition-Nepal (ISET-N) Kathmandu with support from different organizations was organizwd 4 days National River Summit 2014, with diverse objectives of bringing stakeholders together and sharing knowledge, identifying gaps in the information and management of Nepal’s Rivers, to create a forum for continued communications between stakeholders, and to recommend measures to help develop policies to manage and govern rivers.
The following were the five objectives for the National River Summit 2014.
1. To bring together stakeholders and both local and global expertise to share knowledge, information, opportunities and threats to Nepal’s rivers.
2. To prepare a recommendation for a legislation (river management guidelines) to govern rivers in Nepal.
3. To form a core group to take the legislative process forward to a National River Policy.
4. To identify key gaps in the documentation, knowledge and understanding of Nepal’s rivers and plan a strategy to fill those gaps.
5. To create a forum that can be repeated each year to ensure continued communication between stakeholders and raise public awareness of river management and conservation.
Thematic Areas (Based on Nepal’s River)
1. Conservation and Management
2. Sustainable use for development
3. Quality Monitoring and Assessment
4. Guidelines, Policy and Legislation
5. Trade and Services
6. Hydrology and Inter-sector Issues
7. Restoration and Rehabilitation
8. Pollution and Degradation